To promote health healthy pregnancy and safe environment for you and baby a brief checklist is available to you. If you have concerns or questions about any of the resources, you can reach out to your physician or the Kishwaukee Obstetrics Department 815.766.7467.
Northwestern Medicine also offers a variety of prenatal classes. Contact Community Wellness for more information on classes, events and support groups.
Being pre-registered saves you a step once you go into labor. Take this opportunity to fill out your pre-registration information online.
Obstetric and Neonatal services
Labor and Delivery services include:
- Anesthesia services available 24/7
- Obstetrician on site 7 pm–7 am (Kishwaukee Hospital only)
- Level II Special Care Nursery
- Dedicated cesarean section operating room with post anesthesia care unit
- Specialty trained registered nurses in house 24/7
- Certified lactation counselors/consultants available
- Private neonatal procedure room in nursery
- Advanced fetal monitoring
- Social workers, registered dietitians and spiritual leaders, including postpartum counseling
- Breastfeeding support while you’re in the hospital
- Access to the free Breastfeeding Center at Kishwaukee Hospital once you’re home
Each room is staffed by highly trained, caring nurses and many amenities including:
- Rooming-in for baby
- Large private bathroom and closets
- Complimentary WiFi access for personal/mobile devices
- Birthing chair
- Birthing bar
- Birthing ball
- Wireless fetal monitoring
- Nitrous Oxide – a safe and non-invasive option to help manage anxiety and pain during labor, while allowing continued mobility
- Use of IPads to help keep remote loved ones present for the labor and birth experience
Every mother who gives birth at Kishwaukee Hospital will receive a mom/baby care booklet upon discharge. There are also medication information sheets used when new medications are given. Kishwaukee Hospital also offers an expansive menu for hotel-style room service for moms to take advantage of during their stay.
The Kishwaukee Hospital maternity suites follow the guidelines of the Association of Women’s Health, Obstetric and Neonatal Nurses; American Academy of Pediatrics and the World Health Organization to improve the health of women and infants through education, support and the promotion of breastfeeding.
Hospital safety and baby tracker services
In addition to your baby rooming in with you, he or she will have a computerized tag for identification and location purposes. The maternity suites are locked for the safety of the infants and their families. Security staff is available 24/7.
Beautiful newborn photos done by Bella Baby photographers at Kishwaukee Hospital will be keepsakes you and your family will cherish forever. The photographer comes to your hospital room and sets up several poses. A slide show is then available for you to view and order for 2 weeks. With your permission, your baby pictures are then posted on the photographer’s online baby gallery so family and friends can view.
Our goal is to help you address concerns and overcome obstacles through your baby’s first year. The Breastfeeding Center in DeKalb serves all new moms in Northern Illinois, no matter where you delivered.
Baby–Friendly hospital initiative
Kishwaukee Hospital has achieved the designation of "Baby–Friendly" and is committed to excellence by providing evidence-based maternity care with the goal of achieving optimal infant feeding outcomes and mother/baby bonding. Baby-Friendly USA.