The Department of Psychiatry and Behavioral Sciences at Northwestern University has earned a reputation of providing the highest quality mental healthcare. Since 1994, the Division of Forensic Psychiatry within the Department of Psychiatry has provided expertise in a variety of legal issues and has expertise in a variety of clinical sub-specialties.
The Division consists of highly trained, academic faculty with experience performing objective, psychiatric examinations, consultations with attorneys, records reviews, provision of testimony and psychological testing. Areas of expertise include civil issues and criminal issues.
The Division provides care for civil issues, including: (but not limited to)
- Personal injury/traumatic brain injury
- Children and family issues
- Disability/Worker's Compensation
- Fitness for duty
- Medical malpractice and negligence
- Testamentary capacity
- Sexual harassment and discrimination
The Division also provides care for criminal issues, including: (but not limited to)
- Fitness to stand trial
- Post-conviction examinations
- Sexual disorders/offenses
- Substance abuse/offenses
- Insanity defense