Medication Treatment for Brain Tumor Symptoms
Brain tumors often cause symptoms. These may include headaches, pain, seizures, mood swings and other issues. To help you feel better, your physician may prescribe medication. These may include:
- Steroids to reduce brain swelling. This can also help relieve headaches and pain.
- Anticonvulsants to help prevent seizures or convulsions.
- Often patients will be evaluated by an epileptologist (neurologist with a focus on epilepsy) with expertise in Tumor Related Epilepsy (TRE)
- Medications to lessen side effects of tumors or certain treatments, such as chemotherapy, radiation and surgery. These include:
- Anti-emetics to help control nausea and vomiting
- Laxatives or stool softeners to treat constipation
- Pain relievers
- Medications to ease anxiety, stress or depression
- Hormones to replace the ones your body is not making