What To Expect
What To Expect on the Day of Your Screening Mammogram or Ultrasound
Please note the following:
- You will need to remove your clothes above the waist for the test, so please wear a two-piece outfit.
- Do not use deodorant, perfume, powder, creams or lotions on your breast or underarm area. Residue from these products may interfere with mammogram results.
- Plan to arrive 15 minutes before your scheduled appointment time.
- Prior mammograms are critical for optimal interpretation of your mammogram to detect any changes. If it is available and was conducted somewhere other than Northwestern Medicine, please bring your most recent mammogram to your appointment. This includes not only the imaging report, but also the actual images on a CD.
- Tell the technologist if you have implants, lumps or nipple discharge.
- You will be asked to stand during the mammogram. If you have trouble standing, please tell the technologist; additional assistance may be necessary to position you properly.
- Some people may experience slight discomfort during the examination, but the procedure will not damage breast tissue.