If you are ready to lose weight and adopt a healthy lifestyle, the Northwestern Medicine Center for Lifestyle Medicine provides an array of services to help you. Our lifestyle medicine specialists work in partnership with you to help set and achieve specific goals. In many cases, our patients come to us looking for:
- Comprehensive weight loss treatment and management for overweight and obese adults (including pregnant women)
- Education strategies and skills that promote weight loss
- Risk factor reduction for a healthier lifestyle
- Tools to improve physical activity and encourage healthy eating
To help you achieve and maintain weight loss, the highly skilled interdisciplinary team at the Center for Lifestyle Medicine includes:
- Board-certified physicians in various specialties
- Advanced practice practitioners
- Exercise specialists
Our specialists provide care for many medical conditions, including:
- Health psychology
- Preventive medicine
- Weight management
Treatments and procedures
Our physicians offer a comprehensive array of diagnostic and therapeutic procedures and consultation including:
- Behavioral counseling
- Dietary counseling
- Disease management
- Exercise counseling
- Psychological counseling
- Bariatric surgery options
The Northwestern Medicine Center for Lifestyle Medicine has various offerings for individuals who want to lose weight and adopt a healthy lifestyle. Initiatives include:
Using state-of-the-art, evidence-based treatment strategies, we offer adults a comprehensive weight management program that is customized to meet each person's weight-related medical, emotional and psychosocial needs.
What to Expect
A weight management specialist will conduct a comprehensive initial assessment and medical evaluation of the medical, biological, emotional and psychosocial issues that affect your weight.
Based upon this in-depth assessment, an individualized weight management treatment plan will be developed (and mutually agreed upon) with the options of focusing on an array of treatment options, including diet, physical activity, behavior change, psychological counseling, medications and/or surgery.
If needed, the following services are available:
- Healthy weight loss through diet: A registered dietitian will evaluate your diet habits and coach you on diet strategies like making healthier substitutions, using meal replacement products, controlling portions, using tracking tools, understanding healthy shopping and cooking tips, planning family meals and addressing your mood/food connection if emotional eating is a concern.
- Increased physical activity for long-term weight management success: An exercise specialist will evaluate your physical activity habits and coach you on physical activity strategies, such as building activity into your normal daily routine, using a pedometer, following aerobic exercise and strength training tips, instructing you on exercise precautions and helping you progress your program safely.
- Emotional and psychological issues related to your weight: If binge eating disorder, body image disturbances, low self-esteem, low motivation, depression or anxiety are concerns, a psychologist will evaluate your coping style and habits and help you manage your condition using cognitive behavioral therapy.
To help you set realistic goals and make gradual changes for lasting success, lifestyle coaching will be provided through frequent contact with a member of our team.
Weight Loss Surgery Program
Working closely with the team in the Center for Lifestyle Medicine, the weight loss surgery program offers options for individuals suffering from severe obesity. If you are unable to lose weight with a healthy diet and exercise, weight loss surgery (also known as bariatric surgery) might be an option for you. Deciding to have weight loss surgery is a significant step toward making a permanent lifestyle change.
Frequently Asked Questions
How often are my appointments?
During your initial appointment you will meet with one of the specialists. Subsequent appointments will be based on your individual needs.
What is the cost of consultations?
Costs for individual consultations depend on the specialist you see and the number of visits. Some services may not be covered by insurance. Contact your insurance company if you have any questions regarding coverage.