Prepare for Your First Visit
You might feel overwhelmed about getting ready for your first visit to the Northwestern Medicine Voice Center. The information on this page will help guide you.
Log In to the MyNM Patient Portal
MyNM is a secure patient portal for Northwestern Medicine. With MyNM, you can manage your health records and communicate with your physician's office using your computer or a mobile device.
There is no cost to use MyNM. You can sign up online.
Complete Your Paperwork in MyNM
You will complete at least one questionnaire related to your symptoms. You can fill this out in MyNM before your appointment.
Gather Medical Records
You will want us to have all of your medical records before you meet with a specialist. If you have had tests or imaging done outside of Northwestern Medicine, please contact those organizations to arrange for them to send your records.
If you will pick up the records, you can:
- Upload reports and images to MyNM. Learn how.
- Drop them off at our office at least three business days before your appointment.
If you cannot do either of those, please bring the records with you to your appointment.
Check Your Insurance Coverage
Northwestern Medicine accepts many types of insurance plans. Check to see if we accept your insurance.
If you do not have insurance or need help paying for your care, you may qualify for financial assistance.
For more information about medical bills, insurance forms and other related paperwork, see our Billing Questions page.
Travel and Lodging
Northwestern Memorial Hospital is located in downtown Chicago. We want your experience here to be exceptional. View our location page to learn more about:
- Parking and valet service
- Public transportation
- Nearby lodging
- Food and shopping options within the hospital
- Visitor policies
- Accessibility resources
What to Expect at Your First Appointment
At your first visit, you will register and then meet with your care team.
Remember to bring a valid photo ID and your insurance card. With one of our patient service representatives, you will:
- Check in
- Validate your parking ticket
- Sign consent forms
- Review your insurance
Meet With Your Care Team
You are at the center of your care team. Your team also includes at least one if not more specialists.
- Our clinic includes laryngologists and speech language pathologists.
- Your visit may include time with both specialists depending on your concerns.
You will have a thorough exam. This may include laryngoscopy.
- Your physician may do a laryngoscopy to see the structure and function of your vocal cords and other areas of your throat. It can help them diagnose your condition.
- They will do the laryngoscopy by using a small, flexible tube that has a light and camera. They insert the tube through the nose to see the throat.
- It only takes a few minutes.
Your care team will use your symptom information, previous medical records, and results from the physical exam and laryngoscopy (if done) to come up with treatment options. They will talk to you about the results and answer all of your questions. Together, you can create a treatment plan.
If you have questions during your care journey, please call us at 312.695.8182 (TTY: 711).