Energy medicine services
Energy medicine practices are found in diverse cultures and healing traditions. They are increasingly being offered within the hospital setting as a gentle intervention with the potential to improve quality of care and complement the efforts of Western physicians. Energy treatments are aimed at healing imbalances in the energy fields purported to be in and around the human body.
Common reasons for seeking energy medicine treatments include:
- Mood disorders (anxiety or depression)
- Being out of balance
- Insomnia or hyperactivity
- Chronic pain
- Stress-related conditions
- Healing after surgery
Proposed benefits of energy medicine include reduction of pain, anxiety and fatigue, as well as improvement in measures of autonomic nervous system like blood pressure and heart rate.
Energy therapies offered at the Northwestern Medicine Osher Center for Integrative Health include:
- Reiki (pronounced ray-key): Reiki is a spiritual, vibrational healing practice used to promote balance throughout the human system. Reiki is based on an Eastern belief in an energy that supports the body’s innate healing abilities.
- Healing Touch: Healing Touch is an energy therapy in which practitioners consciously use their hands in a heart–centered and intentional way to support and facilitate physical, emotional, mental and spiritual health.
What to expect at your visit
A session generally consists of a trained practitioner placing their hands gently on or above the body of a fully–clothed patient with a healing intention. The technique involves channeling healing energy through the practitioner's hands to restore balance and health.
- Fitness and Wellness Classes at Northwestern Memorial Hospital: Northwestern Memorial Hospital offers classes, programs and support groups throughout the year to help you live a healthier life.
- About Osher Center for Integrative Health at Northwestern University
- About Integrative Health
- Osher Membership
- Education Opportunities (Internships, Students, Fellowships etc.)
- Research Program