Massage therapy services
Advanced massage techniques are a useful adjunct to one’s health plan to promote healing and maintain health. Massage is useful for many conditions, including chronic pain, soft tissue injuries and stress reduction. Clinical massage therapy can also benefit patients with postoperative edema, reduced range of motion and nervous system problems. It requires extensive knowledge of anatomy and physiology, as well as an intuitive approach to an individual’s needs. In addition to hands–on work, the treatment involves postural assessment, muscle testing, and determination of predisposing factors and corrective exercise or stretching.
What is therapeutic massage?
Therapeutic massage simply means that the therapist evaluates the needs of the client and determines what style or types of massage are indicated. These can include one or more of the following:
- Pregnancy (pre/postnatal)
- Deep tissue and sports
- Trigger point
- Hot/cold treatment
Our therapists are also trained in specialized therapeutic approaches, including:
- Active release technique: This technique incorporates stretching and mobility work.
- Manual lymphatic drainage: A gentle technique that works through the lymphatic system to activate the body fluid circulation and support the function of the immune and parasympathetic nervous systems.
- Zero balancing: A bodywork system designed to align the energy body with the physical structure to facilitate a profound experience of wellness, grounding and integration.
- Cranio-sacral therapy: A gentle, hands-on method of evaluating and enhancing the cranio-sacral system (the membranes and cerebrospinal fluid that surround and protect the brain and spinal cord).
- Energy medicine: Offered as a gentle intervention with the potential to improve quality of care and complement the efforts of Western physicians.
Conditions that are commonly treated with massage therapy include:
- Chris Wilson, LMT
- Dianne Seppelfrick, LMT, BCTMB
- Osher Center for Integrative Health Massage Therapy
- Fitness and Wellness Classes at Northwestern Memorial Hospital: Northwestern Memorial Hospital offers classes, programs and support groups throughout the year to help you live a healthier life.
- About Osher Center for Integrative Health at Northwestern University
- About Integrative Health
- Osher Membership
- Education Opportunities (Internships, Students, Fellowships etc.)
- Research Program