Spine Care and Pain Management
The Northwestern Medicine Kishwaukee Hospital Spine Center uses evidence-based practices to manage pain, increase mobility and help patients get back to doing the activities they most enjoy.
Our team of providers includes pain management and interventional physicians, nurse practitioners and a program coordinator working together with the use of conservative, nonsurgical treatments and when necessary, surgical intervention.
Our goal is always to use the least invasive option to provide symptom relief.
The Northwestern Medicine Kishwaukee Hospital Spine Center relies on evidence-based practices putting the patient at the center of the care program. Experienced physicians, specially trained nurses, therapists and technicians provide seamless, coordinated care for each patient.
What To Expect
The Spine Center Coordinator is the initial point of contact for each patient. The coordinator helps to gather and review medical information navigating the best course of treatment and referral to a spine specialist. The spine specialist referral is made based on each patient’s individualized case. Our patient-centered approach to care is evident in each decision that is made.
What to Bring to the Hospital
- Other personal hygiene items
- Well-fitted slippers with non-slip soles
- Flat shoes or tennis shoes
- Glasses and hearing aids if you rely on them
- Your CPAP machine if you have sleep apnea
- Cell phone and charger
- Adaptive equipment such as a walker or reachers (these may be brought to you after your surgery)
- Your patient Guidebook with completed medication list
- A copy of your advance directives if you have them
- Your insurance card, driver's license or photo I.D.
- Any co-payment required by your insurance company
Special Instructions Before Surgery
You will be given specific instructions from your surgeon regarding medications, skin care, and showering.
- ONLY take the medication that you have been told to take, with a sip of water.
- Please leave jewelry, valuables, and large amounts of money at home.
- Makeup must be removed before your procedure.
- Remove all rings and leave at home.
- Nail polish must be removed.
- Wear dentures and/or partials.
Spine and Pain Care Treatments Available in Northern Illinois
The following treatments are available through Northwestern Medicine Kishwaukee Hospital Spine and Pain Care Centers and Physical Therapy Centers or other community providers.
Your Northwestern Medicine Kishwaukee Hospital pain management specialist can refer you to community resources when necessary.
Some procedures and practices may not be covered by insurance.
- Aquatic therapy
- Behavioral medicine
- Epidural injections
- Implantable drug delivery systems
- Massage therapy
- Mind-body integration therapies
- Mindfulness orientation
- Movement therapies
- Neural therapy injections
- Occupational therapy
- Osteopathic manual therapies
- Physical therapy<
- Radiofrequency neurolysis
- Selectively placed nerve and join injections
- Spinal cord stimulation
To schedule an appointment with a spine care specialist, please call 815.748.2968