Ultrasound testing uses reflected sound waves to create images of the inside of your body. Unlike an X-ray or CT scan, there is no ionizing radiation exposure.
Cardiologists use ultrasound technology for a number of purposes:
- Vascular ultrasound: Ultrasounds of the arteries and veins in the arms, legs, neck and abdomen.
- Carotid duplex/Doppler scan: This painless ultrasound test measures blood flow and the extent of the stenosis in your carotid artery.
- Echocardiogram: Also called a cardiac ultrasound, an echocardiogram uses ultrasound to look at the structure and motion of the heart.
- Interventional cardiology: Ultrasound is used to direct procedures using catheters.
What to expect
Your physician will explain the procedure to you and answer any questions you may have.
Before the exam
Please arrive at your scheduled time to complete any outstanding paperwork that may be needed (insurance, forms, etc). After registering, you will either go to a changing area or straight to an exam room. At this time, you will be instructed on what articles of clothing will need to be removed for your test (if applicable), and you will be given a gown to change into (if applicable).
A sonographer will come to your exam room to begin your ultrasound.
After the exam
You will go back to the changing area and receive any additional instructions. Exam results from radiology are typically given to your ordering provider within 48 hours of your exam.
Northwestern Medicine Diagnostic Imaging Gurnee Tower Court25 Tower CourtGurnee, IL 60031place
Northwestern Medicine Glenview Outpatient Center Diagnostic Imaging2701 Patriot Blvd.Glenview, IL 60026place
Northwestern Medicine Grayslake Outpatient Diagnostic Imaging Center1475 E. Belvidere RoadGrayslake, IL 60030place
- What to Expect During Your Outpatient Ultrasound Visit
- Upper Abdominal Ultrasound Guide: Learn the preparation and care involved before and after this procedure. English | Spanish
- Kidney (Renal) Ultrasound Brochure: Read about the preparations and care needed before and after this procedure. English | Spanish