Why choose Northwestern Medicine for your breast health needs?
At Northwestern Medicine, we will help you understand your risk and provide the most personalized, advanced breast care in the region. We do everything we can to make the process of getting your mammogram as easy and efficient as possible, including next-day or same-day scheduling at some locations. All locations offer sensitive and personal service in a private setting.
Prevention and screening
Northwestern Medicine has invested significant resources in acquiring leading-edge diagnostic technology for breast care. Depending on the location and your health history, your medical team may use the following diagnostic procedures:
- Automated Breast Ultrasound (ABUS): Designed to supplement your regular screening mammogram, ABUS is recommended for women with dense breast tissue or those with an increased risk of breast cancer due to personal or family history.
- Digital mammography: Images of the breast tissue are provided without the use of X-ray films, which makes them faster, more accurate and easier to share with consulting physicians. Both screening and diagnostic mammograms can be performed with computer-aided diagnosis (CAD) technology.
- 3-D mammography: Studies show 3-D mammography can significantly improve the detection of breast cancer, especially in women with dense breast tissue or those at high risk of developing the disease. 3-D mammography is proven to detect smaller breast cancers earlier, provide greater accuracy in tumor size and location and reduce the number of patients who require follow-up testing.
- Breast ultrasound: Sound waves are used to make images of your breasts. It is recommended for patients with dense breast tissue, implants or allergies to dye, or for those who are pregnant.
- Breast magnetic resonance imaging (MRI) and MRI-guided biopsies: Magnets and a computer—but no radiation—are used to create detailed images of your breast tissue.
- Stereotactic breast biopsies: Tiny samples of your breast tissue are used for studies conducted under a microscope.
Breast Health Centers
Northwestern Medicine Breast Health care offers:
- The latest technology for breast screening and diagnosis, including 3-D mammography, the "gold standard" for breast diagnostic screening for women with dense breast tissue or who are at an increased risk for developing breast cancer
- A team of highly trained specialists, including radiologists, medical oncologists, radiation oncologists, surgeons, pathologists, technologists and breast health navigators
- A seamless connection to medical, surgical and support services
- Access to genetic testing and counseling for breast health concerns
Northwestern Medicine Central DuPage Hospital and Northwestern Medicine Delnor Hospital have been named Breast Imaging Centers of Excellence by the American College of Radiology and also been recognized by the prestigious National Accreditation Program for Breast Centers (NAPBC)* through the American College of Surgeons, as has the Lynn Sage Breast Screening Center at Prentice Women's Hospital (with locations also in Bucktown and Lakeview). A breast center that achieves NAPBC accreditation has demonstrated a firm commitment to offering its patients every significant advantage in their battle against breast disease.
- Find out the importance of mammography in early detection in Nurse Navigators Share Mammography Facts.
- Find out how stereotactic breast biopsies can diagnose breast cancer without the need for surgical biopsies.
- Has your physician recommended a breast MRI? Find out why you may be a candidate for this noninvasive procedure.
- Is a breast ultrasound right for you? Find out more.