Northwestern Memorial HealthCare's Histotechnology Program is a full-time hospital-based training program that prepares students for excellence in histotechnology. The program helps students build clinical competency and master the knowledge and skills that are required for clinical practice. The program instills a commitment to compassion and high-quality care through hands-on, career-relevant training and access to the delivery of exemplary health care.
Our 12-month training starts in August. The program enrolls four students per year. After completing the program, graduates are awarded a certificate of completion in histotechnology, and they are eligible to sit for the national certification examination administered by the American Society for Clinical Pathology.
Students receive hands-on clinical training in Northwestern Memorial Hospital’s world-class facilities using the most advanced technology, including:
- Sakura Tissue-Tek VIP 6 Vacuum Infiltration Tissue Processor
- Sakura Tissue-Tek TEC 6 Embedding Module and Cryo Module
- Sakura Tissue-Tek AutoTEC a120 Automated Embedding System
- Leica RM2235 Manual Rotary Microtomes
- Epredia SlideMate AS On-Demand Slide Printer
- Sakura Tissue-Tek Glas Automated Glass Coverslipper
- Sakura Tissue-Tek Prisma Plus Automated Slide Stainer
- Sakura Tissue-Tek Film Automated Coverslipper
- Dako Artisan Link Pro Special Staining System
- Roche BenchMark ULTRA Staining System
- Leica Bond-III Fully Automated IHC and ISH Staining System
- Leica CM1850 UV Cryostat
Our experienced clinical staff includes:
- Board-certified histotechnologists
- Board-certified histotechnicians
- Experienced histology faculty
- Pathologist assistants
- Administrative and support staff
Northwestern Memorial Hospital Mission and Core Values
Northwestern Memorial Hospital, our sponsor institution, is part of a premier integrated academic health system where the patient comes first. The core values of Northwestern Memorial Hospital are:
- Patients First: Putting our patients first in all that we do
- Integrity: Adhering to an uncompromising code of ethics that emphasizes complete honesty and sincerity
- Teamwork: Team success over personal success
- Excellence: Continuously striving to be better
Program Mission Statement
The mission of the Histotechnology Program is to provide students with a state-of-the-art facility and an interdisciplinary environment that enables each student to master the theoretical and technical skills they need to be a successful histotechnologist.
In support of the program's mission statement, the following goals have been developed for program graduates:
- Demonstrate fundamental knowledge and essential technical competencies required to perform histological procedures accurately and efficiently in clinical settings.
- Develop strong communication skills that result in an effective exchange of information and collaboration within a healthcare team.
- Exercise the highest standards of ethical conduct and professional practice.
|Outcome Measures||Year of Graduation 2020||Year of Graduation 2021||Year of Graduation 2022||Three-Year Average|
|Graduate Job Placement Rate||100%||100%||100%||100%|
|Credentialing Pass Rate
within 1 year of graduation
Additional program documentation is available upon request.
Northwestern Memorial HealthCare is authorized by the Illinois Board of Higher Education to operate as a post-secondary educational institution in the state of Illinois.
The Histotechnology Program is currently undergoing programmatic accreditation.