The following people are authorized to sign for release of patient health information:
- The patient
- Parent or legal guardian of a patient age 0 – 11
- Parent or legal guardian of an adolescent patient age 12 – 17 (note: some exceptions apply where the adolescent patient must provide consent)
- Guardian appointed by a court (documentation must be provided)
- Individual acting pursuant to a power of attorney for healthcare (documentation must be provided)
- Attorney-in-fact named by the patient in a declaration for mental health treatment (documentation must be provided)
We can provide you a copy of your records through the following electronic methods. Please note records will be PDF format.
- MyNM patient portal
- Secure email
- On CD
If you are requesting copies of your medical records to be sent directly to you or to another healthcare provider, you will not be charged. If your records are being sent to a third party, such as an attorney, the third party may be billed.
Records and images are available for pickup at specific Northwestern Medicine hospital locations Monday through Friday, 8 am to 4:30 pm. If you have any questions on pickup locations or the process, please call us at 877.973.2673 for assistance.
MyNM is an online health management tool that allows you to access health information related to your care, send secure messages to your physician, and manage your appointments. Please note MyNM contains some, but not all, information from your medical record. Go to nm.org/mychart to find out more about MyNM and sign up. If you would like a staff member to help you sign up for an NM MyChart account, call the MyNM team at 855.457.6966.