Flu Prevention Strategies
Prevention is the best way to keep yourself healthy and slow the spread of influenza virus. The safety of patients, visitors and staff is our top priority. Here are steps we take to help keep the influenza virus from spreading:
- Offer influenza vaccines: We offer the seasonal influenza vaccine to all employees at no cost.
- Provide healthcare kiosks: We have kiosks installed throughout our hospitals where anyone can get masks, sanitizing wipes and tissues to help reduce the spread of viral and bacterial infections, including influenza.
- Educate our staff and the public: We share information about the importance of prevention and limiting the spread of influenza.
- Deliver care in a protected environment: We have safety policies in place for visitors and healthcare workers who interact with any patient with flu-like symptoms.
- Promote clean hands: We provide signage and other reminders for all healthcare workers and visitors to clean their hands frequently, and always when entering and leaving any patient's room. Hand sanitizer stations are located in patient rooms and throughout our facilities.
- Screen visitors: We ask all visitors to avoid coming to the hospital if they feel unwell. To protect patients and staff during times of high illness transmission in the community, visitors may be screened for illness or not allowed.
- Protect patients from caregivers who are ill: Employees who interact with patients and become ill with flu must stay home from work for seven days or until they have been fever-free for 24 hours, whichever is longer.