Last updated: August 11, 2023
You can help prevent COVID-19 and other respiratory illnesses from spreading. You can take the following steps to help protect yourself, your family and your community.
Wash your hands often with soap and water for at least 20 seconds.
- That is about how long it takes to sing the “Happy Birthday” song 2 times.
Avoid close contact with people who are sick.
- If you are caring for someone who is sick, wear a mask.
Try not to touch your face, mouth or eyes without washing your hands first.
Monitor yourself for symptoms of COVID-19, particularly if you have been exposed to someone who is sick.
- If you have symptoms, get tested.
- Get a COVID-19 vaccine unless your physician says you should not.
Wear a mask.
- Everyone ages 2 years and older should wear a well-fitting mask indoors in public areas where a policy is in place. You should wear a mask even if you have been vaccinated.
- Wear a mask if you have respiratory symptoms.
If your immune system is weakened by a medication or health condition, talk to your physician. They may recommend you take other steps to protect yourself.