Last updated: October 6, 2022
The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) recommends the COVID-19 vaccines and boosters for everyone age 6 months and older. This schedule from the CDC outlines the COVID-19 vaccination schedule for all ages. Visit the CDC website for more information about the COVID-19 vaccine for children.
The CDC now recommends the updated single-dose omicron boosters for everyone who is eligible.
- The Pfizer-BioNTech booster is recommended for those 12 and older.
- The Moderna booster is recommended for those 18 and older.
Anyone 12 and older who has received their initial vaccination or booster doses at least two months ago can receive an omicron booster. You can get an omicron booster at the same time as your flu shot, if available. Children ages 5 to 11 cannot receive an omicron booster, but the original COVID-19 booster is available to them. If you have had COVID-19 recently, you may consider delaying your booster dose for 3 months.
Getting a Pfizer-BioNTech COVID-19 Vaccine at Northwestern Medicine
Immediate Care Centers
- You do not need an appointment.
- You do not need to be a current Northwestern Medicine patient.
- Please bring your COVID-19 vaccination record with you.
Vaccination SchedulePlease check this site frequently as information is subject to change.
- For people age 12 and older: Northwestern Medicine Immediate Care Centers offer the Pfizer-BioNTech single-dose omicron booster vaccine (exceptions: Lake Bluff, Lincoln Square, Mokena, Orland Park and Wheaton)
- Our Immediate Care Centers no longer offer the original primary Pfizer-BioNTech vaccine for people 12 and older who were never vaccinated for COVID-19.
- If you need an initial dose of the COVID-19 vaccine, contact your primary care physician or go to vaccines.gov to find a vaccination location near you.
- For children age 6 months to 11 years: Select Immediate Care Centers offer both the Pfizer-BioNTech original primary vaccine and booster doses from 10am to 2pm on select days. Please see below for locations.
Primary Care Sites
- Days and times are limited.
- You need to make an appointment. Select the location for contact details.
- You must be a patient at Northwestern Medicine. You do not have to be a patient at the site where you get the vaccine.
The Northwestern Medicine Primary Care sites below offer the Pfizer-BioNTech COVID-19 vaccine for the ages specified:
- Northwestern Medicine Pediatrics SoNo (ages 6 months to 18 years)
- Northwestern Medicine Pediatrics Glenview Outpatient Center (ages 6 months to 18 years)
- Northwestern Medicine Family Medicine Aurora (ages 6 months and older)
- Northwestern Medicine Family Medicine Grayslake Outpatient Center (ages 6 months and older)
- Northwestern Medicine Primary Care Huntley (ages 6 months and older)
Vaccines in the Community
You can also get the COVID-19 vaccine, including the omicron booster, at locations in local communities: