Symptoms of Narcolepsy
Narcolepsy symptoms are varied. Symptoms can include:
- Hypnagogic hallucinations: Seeing vivid images while falling asleep or waking up (hypnopompic hallucinations).
- Sleep paralysis: Waking up feeling paralyzed or unable to move, which may last for a few minutes. This paralysis may also be associated with a scary feeling and hallucinations.
- Cataplexy: Feeling limp, weak at the knees or falling, in association with a strong emotion such as laughter, surprise or anger.
You should see your physician if you have the following symptoms:
- Excessive daytime sleepiness
- Light or disturbed sleep
- Sleep inertia or difficulty waking in the morning
- Hypnagogic or hypnopompic hallucinations
- Sleep paralysis