Treatments for Achilles Tendinitis
Treatments for Achilles tendinitis:
- Rest: Rest from all activities that cause pain to give your tendon time to heal.
- Ice: Place an ice bag on the affected area for 15 to 20 minutes. Repeat four to five times a day.
- Elevate: Elevate the affected leg.
- Anti-inflammatory medication: Oral anti-inflammatory medication, such as ibuprofen, will relieve pain and reduce swelling.
- Exercises: Stretching and strengthening exercises should help to alleviate pain and provide relief.
- Shoe inserts: Some patients may find additional relief with the use of heel lifts or shoe inserts.
For more chronic or severe episodes, formal physical therapy and/or placement into a walking boot or case may be necessary.