About the Northwestern Medicine Bariatric Surgery and Metabolic Health Program
If you're ready to lose weight, the Northwestern Medicine Bariatric Surgery and Metabolic Health Program offers a full range of surgical weight loss options with step-by-step education, guidance and support.
Please take these steps to be considered for weight loss surgery:
- Check your Body Mass Index (BMI): You must have a body mass index of 40 or higher to be eligible for surgery. If you have a body mass index between 35 and 39 and you have at least one medical problem that is made worse by obesity, then you may be eligible.
- Contact your Insurance Company:
- Verify that weight loss surgery is a "covered benefit" by your policy
- Verify that the Northwestern Medicine hospital where you wish to have surgery is a part of your coverage (please note: if your insurance does not cover surgery, a self-pay option may be available)
- Attend a weight loss seminar
Meet the Team
The Northwestern Medicine Bariatric Surgery and Metabolic Health Program offers long-term solutions for obesity. Our team of specialists are experts in weight loss surgery and non-surgical weight loss options and are committed to helping you throughout this life-changing journey.
If you suffer from severe obesity and struggle to lose weight, weight loss surgery (also known as bariatric surgery) might be an option for you. Deciding to have weight loss surgery is a significant step toward making a permanent lifestyle change. Northwestern Medicine offers a variety of surgical weight loss procedures.