Why Bariatric Surgery?
If you are someone for whom non-surgical treatments have failed to provide sustained weight loss, you can be evaluated for, and if appropriate, undergo lifesaving bariatric surgery. In cases of severe obesity, bariatric (weight loss) surgery is the only proven method of achieving long-term weight control. Our multidisciplinary team of bariatric experts will see you through the entire process. We will make certain that you are prepared for surgery, both physically and psychologically, and we will provide the most advanced and current procedures that are right for you. After surgery, we will assist you in committing to the lifestyle changes that will assure optimal success.
Watch Cheryl and her husband talk about her weight loss journey with Northwestern Medicine.
In addition, our surgeons provide an overview of the Weight Loss Surgery Program.
The Northwestern Medicine Digestive Health Center Weight Loss Surgery Program offers a new beginning and long-term solutions for obesity. Our dedicated team of specialists with expertise in weight loss surgery is committed to helping you throughout this life-changing journey.
The program is lead by the expertise and experience of three board-certified surgeons, Alex Nagle, MD and Eric S. Hungness, MD and Ezra Teitelbaum, MD. Since 1999, the Bariatric Surgery Program at Northwestern Memorial Hospital has provided care to more than 3500 patients. Our staff and clinicians partner closely together to ensure each patient receives the highest level of care and help you navigate through the insurance verification process.
The Weight Loss Program at Northwestern Memorial Hospital has been named a nationally accredited bariatric surgery program by the American College of Surgeons and the Metabolic and Bariatric Surgery Accreditation and Quality Improvement Program. This designation is awarded to comprehensive programs with a proven record of favorable outcomes for weight-loss surgery.
Meet the Teams
Bariatric surgery promotes weight loss by restricting food intake and, in some procedures, altering the digestive process. As with other treatments for obesity, the best results are achieved when combined with healthy eating behaviors and regular physical activity.
Our experienced surgeons have performed more than 3500 weight loss procedures and offer the following surgical options:
- Laparoscopic Roux-en-Y Gastric Bypass
- Laparoscopic Sleeve Gastrectomy
- Laparoscopic Adjustable Gastric Band
- Revisional bariatric surgery on a case by case basis
- New non-surgical option available now: Endoscopic Intragastric Balloon
- Medically supervised programs for overweight, obesity and morbidly obese individuals
- Expert nutritional counseling from registered dietitians
- Weight loss surgery support groups once per month
- Bariatric surgery educational seminars two times per month
- Intensive preparation prior to surgery including lifestyle modifications and counseling on physical activity
- Comprehensive follow-up after surgery including monitoring of progress with weight loss and vitamin levels
- Collaborate closely with other medical specialist, such as, internist, endocrinologist, cardiologist, pulmonologist, psychologist, and others.
- Insurance experts
Making the decision to undergo bariatric surgery has been rewarding and gratifying for many of our patients. It represents a serious, lifelong commitment to a healthy lifestyle. You may be a candidate for surgical weight loss if you meet the following criteria:
You may be a candidate for surgical weight loss if you meet the following criteria:
- At least 18 years of age
- BMI of 40 kg/m2 or greater
- BMI 35-39 kg/m2 and obesity related conditions, such as high blood pressure, diabetes, sleep apnea
- Unable to achieve a healthy body weight for a sustained period of time, despite numerous attempts at weight loss.
If you are not a candidate for surgery but are still interested in losing weight, please visit The Center for Lifestyle Medicine.
Your next step
If you would like to take the next step in your journey toward weight loss surgery, call our office at 312.695.7070 to register for a FREE information seminar. The seminar provides a unique opportunity to meet the surgeons, learn about the weight loss surgery program and weight loss surgical options available to you.