Northwestern Medicine accepts the following Medicaid managed care plans:
- Blue Cross Community Health Plans
- CountyCare (Cook County residents only)
- Meridian Health Plan
Medicaid customers in Illinois need to renew their healthcare coverage. This affects patients with traditional Medicaid and managed care organization coverage.
You will keep your coverage until your renewal month. You will get a notice in the mail a month before your deadline for renewal.
The notice will come in this envelope:
How can I find out my due date for renewal? You should:
- Go online to abe.illinois.gov.
- Click Manage My Case to set up an online account.
- Go to the Contact Us tab.
- Check your address. If it is wrong, update it.
- Go to the Benefit Details tab.
Check your due date. Then you will know when to expect a renewal letter or if the state has already sent a letter.
If you cannot go online, you may call 800.843.6154. The state will provide a live interpreter during the call if you need one.
What happens if I miss my due date? Even if you are late, you should apply for renewal by going to abe.illinois.gov. If you apply within 90 days of your Medicaid coverage ending, the state will review your case.
- If they restart your coverage, Illinois Medicaid will pay for your covered healthcare costs between your original due date and the date your coverage renewed.
What are the correct payor websites to find out more? Each insurance company that we have a contract with has a resource to help you understand the renewal process. You can view these online at:
- Blue Cross Blue Shield: bcbsil.com/bcchp/join-our-plan/keeping-my-care
- CountyCare Health Plan (Cook County residents only): countycare.com
- Meridian: meridianillinois.com
No matter what coverage you have, go to abe.illinois.gov. and follow the renewal steps.
What if I am no longer eligible for Medicaid? If you are no longer eligible for Medicaid, you will get a letter that tells you when your coverage ends and how to appeal the decision.
How can I find other insurance? If you cannot get insurance through your employer, insurance plans are available at getcoveredillinois.gov.
- This is the official Affordable Care Act (ACA) website for Illinois.
- You can get help with enrollment at no cost.
- You can also find out if you qualify for financial help
- Many people find plans for $10 or less per month after tax credits.
Learn what ACA Health Insurance Marketplace Plans Northwestern Medicine accepts.
You can find answers to other questions on the Illinois Medicaid and the End of Continuous Coverage FAQ.