Facial Aging and Trauma Treatments
The goal of treatment for facial aging and trauma is to ease any pain, improve appearance, and facilitate better speech, sensory systems, breathing and eating. Treatment will depend on the condition and underlying cause, but it may include:
- Cosmetic surgery: Plastic surgeons perform a broad spectrum of procedures to improve appearance or correct congenital deformities.
- Reconstructive surgery: Head and neck surgeons perform a variety of reparative and restorative surgeries after injury and illness.
- Injections: Injection of botulinum toxin (Botox®) and other medications can be performed for cosmetic reasons or in patients who experience muscle spasms.
- Microvascular decompression: This procedure can relive pressure on the facial nerve in patients with severe spasms.
- Physical therapy: Massage and electrical stimulation may be helpful for patients with paralysis or spasms of facial muscles.
- Speech therapy: A speech-language pathologist can aid in improving speech and swallowing techniques.