Acute Adult Inpatient Rehabilitation
Acute adult inpatient rehabilitation at Northwestern Medicine Marianjoy Rehabilitation Hospital combines intensive therapy with compassionate care from expert physicians and nurses to help patients regain independence and live their life to the fullest.
Criteria for Acute Inpatient Rehabilitation Admission
Acute adult inpatient rehabilitation is for patients experiencing changes in physical function, mobility, speech, cognition, behavior, emotions and personal independence due to:
- Physical disabilities
Patients seeking admission to the acute inpatient rehabilitation program at Marianjoy Rehabilitation Hospital must:
- Participate in three hours of intensive rehabilitation five days a week.
- Require two or more types of therapy, such as physical, speech or occupational.
- Require 24-hour medical care with daily physician oversight.
- Have the capacity to make functional improvements based on the rehabilitation goals set with their personal therapy team.
- Receive approval from a physiatrist proving that they meet the above criteria.
A team of rehabilitation experts, including physical therapists, occupational therapists, speech therapists, neuropsychologists, nurses, psychiatrists and chaplains, will work with the patient and their family to create an individualized plan that focuses on their specific needs and goals. Components of treatment vary depending on these needs and goals, but could include:
- Daily physiatrist interaction and guidance.
- Regular consultation with a neuropsychologist to evaluate and update treatment to ensure progress toward the patient’s goals.
- An individualized mobility treatment plan focusing on physical goals like walking, strengthening, balance and coordination.
- Using assistive therapeutic technology to augment treatment.
- Occupational therapy to help patients perform daily living activities.
- Cognitive therapy. Treatment of cognitive and communication disorders
- Swallowing and speech therapy.
- Pain management.
- Emotional support and counseling for the patient and their family.
- Vocational and academic services to help patients return to school or the workforce.
- Education to equip patients with resources after program discharge.
For more information on acute inpatient rehabilitation, visit marianjoy.org.
Marianjoy offers customized treatment options guided by patients' needs and goals including: